Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, March 30, 2009

    Updated Thoughts on "Dollhouse"

    So, "Dollhouse" continues to be a subject of much rancor and speculation.

    I may be a "blind fanboy." I don't think I am. I can admit that some of the "Troi episodes" of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" were some of the weaker ones. I don't think they gave her a fair shake.

    But Luke's as objective a person as I know, and he likes "Dollhouse" a lot.

    We don't overlap a lot on tv shows and things like that. He'll never like Christina Aguilera the way I do, or get excited over a new Amanda Bynes movie. But we have yet to miss an episode of "Dollhouse," and that's just as much his doing as mine.

    The show had a rocky start. I don't think it was as bad as some do, but I'll admit, I wasn't astounded by it like I was with "Firefly."

    But the second episode was good. And the third was better, I thought (an unpopular opinion as well, I know, but there you have it.) And like Christina says, it keeps getting better.

    The sixth episode blew my mind. Completely. Both of us sat there with our jaws dropped. It was phenomenal. The mythology, the acting, it was all there, and Joss was "back."

    I think the show is more adult, it's a heavy thing, and I think people need to wise up to that fact. Can you imagine if Joss had done a show in which women were glorified sex slaves and treated it lightly? And yes, the show is way more than that, but consider that for a minute.

    The show is brilliant. The concept is amazing. What is a "self?" It's an entire series about that question Angel asks Buffy at the end of season 2. Take away all your memories, all your knowledge, your family, your friends, and "what's left?" Are you still you? Are you still a person? This is not a story that can be told with teenagers or vampires. It can be told with humor, and is, but if Joss keeps using the same jokes, people would turn on him, too.

    Eliza's doing a great job. She's been dealt a bad hand in the press, some of which is deserved, but she's an actress that responds to strong direction, which I think she's been getting. The rest of the cast is great, too! I don't think she's the least interesting character, but I also think the strength of Joss is in ensemble.

    I hope the network has greater faith in the show. I see good numbers in ratings, better when you add in DVR numbers, iTunes purchases, and Hulu viewings. I think the audience is there. And I, for one, will take part in whatever Save The Dollhouse campaigns there are.

    No comments: