Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, March 2, 2009

    My thoughts on "Dollhouse"

    Ok, so I'm getting a little annoyed about some of the other reviews that I'm seeing about "Dollhouse," so I thought I'd post my thoughts.

    Yes, I'll agree, it doesn't seem like Joss. YET. Eliza says to hold on, and I'm gonna trust her.

    I still think it's a compelling piece of television, with a great amount of potential. The flaws that I see bear all the fingerprints of network tampering, so I'm going to stick it out, beyond the fact that it's Eliza and I'll eat anything up.

    I have great, ahem, faith in her. She's a good actress who responds to strong direction. There have been some missteps, but I always remember seeing her in "True Lies" and thinking "who's that girl??"

    People say her acting chops aren't there, or she plays a tough girl too often so it lessens their appreciation of her performance as Faith. What they're not taking into account is the reason her performance as Faith was so electrifying was not because she plays "Tough Chick" so well. (even though she does) it was the vulnerability and desperation she brought to the early performances, and the recovering person seeking redemption "act" that she NAILED in the later performances. Don't believe me about the early performances? Go back and watch the first half of Season 3. It's all in the eyes. Even as she's turning "bad," the look she gives Buffy is always "forgive me," or "I'm really sorry about all this." She nails the fact that Faith is seeking Buffy's approval, even as she's beating her face in.

    As far as the later performances, as someone who has sought redemption myself, there is a certain amount of exasperation and still having to prove yourself that you have to do for the rest of your life, and she conveyed that perfectly.

    The characters in "Dollhouse" are being pretty well defined, I think. The character development, even for characters that aren't being seen so much, like Dr. Saunders, is pretty good. Obviously, it's the first season, and everyone's working on it, but I think it's pretty good.

    All said, the first season of "Buffy" was pretty rocky, and look how that turned out?? HAVE FAITH, stick it out, and enjoy it. It's only getting better! Episode one was ok, Episode two was better, and three was better than two!

    No comments: